Marshfield Historic Places
Central Wisconsin State Fairgrounds, Round Barn
513 East 17th Street
The Round Barn, finished in 1916, was built for the Central Wisconsin Livestock Breeders Association. The Round Barn was built at a cost of $5000.00. It is circular --150 feet in diameter -- and has interior seating accommodations for 500-1000 people. The first public sale was held on May 10 -11, 1916, selling 125Holsteins(37 bulls). The Round Barn has been recognized by “Ripley’s Believe It or Not” as the World’s largest round barn.
City Hall (Tower Hall)
110 East Second Street
Originally built in 1901 as Marshfield’s City Hall (currently known as Tower Hall), this building included a library and engine house for fire fighting equipment. A fire bell and clock was located in the West tower. This building also housed all other city operations and the Police department. Constructed of locally kilnedMarshfieldbrick, this structure exhibits predominantly Romanesque features.
Columbia Park Band Shell
201 West Arnold Street
The Columbia Park Band Shell was built in 1931 and has been recently renovated. It was designed and built by Frank A. Felhofer and Sons in the Art Deco style. The band shell was originally used as the home of the 135th Medical Regiment Band, and it now serves the City of Marshfield for band concerts and public events. It was listed on the Marshfield Municipal Register of Historic Places in 2010, and the State and National Registers in 2008.
Edward Jones Investment Building
554 South Central Avenue
The Building, built in 1893, was originally constructed in the “Commercial Vernacular” style. Sometime after 1911 the face of the building was altered into the “Early 20th Century Commercial” style, which was popular from 1910 to 1930. This style is characterized by a simply ornamented, two dimensional façade on a broad rectangular building mass. The style was used for small one story storefronts and larger two to three story business blocks. The building is accented with simple geometric shapes in concrete. The parapet is topped with flat stone coping which crowns the building. The second story cornice features double concrete accent blocks, with simple cornices along the storefront and sides of the building.
Eli Winch Home
201 South Vine Avenue
Architectural features of this home include the traditional spindle railings and cut away bay windows. Differing wall textures are another hall mark of the Queen Ann style which avoided flat planar wall surfaces. This can be seen in this house through use of all of the shingles, hipped porches and bay windows. This house is a classic example of Queen Ann Victorian architecture and was built in 1897 by Eli Winch as a “new, modern house.” Mr. Winch came to the city to purchase timber for a company in Neenah before Marshfield became a city. Later, he returned to settle here and became a very successful businessman. He owned three stave factories in Marshfield, Park Falls and Athens. He was a friend of Governor Upham who convinced him to run for the legislature. He ran as a Progressive Republican and served two terms. Mr. Winch lived in the home until he died in December of 1938.
George D. and Jennie Booth House
512 Hardacre Avenue
This house is much different in size but not in quality and is an example of the more modest Colonial Revival style house that was built in 1927 for George and Jennie Booth. George Booth was the president of the Booth- Campbell Retail Lumber Company at the time the house was built. This house is a fine example of the so-called “Cape Cod” variant of the Colonial Revival style and has a rectilinear plan, a symmetrically designed three-bay-wide main façade, a centered main entrance sheltered by a gable roof that features returned eaves and three gable-roofed dormers. It is only one-and-one-half stories in height and is sided by wooden shingles. This house is owned by Marilyn Hardacre, the first woman to be elected to the city Council in 1975 since a woman held the position in 1928-1930 after women had the right to vote, the first woman to be elected Mayor of the City (which she held for four terms), and the first woman President of League of Wisconsin Municipalities.
Governor William H. Upham House
212 West Third Street
Built in 1880, this house miraculously escaped the great fire of 1887. William H. Upham enlisted in the Belle City Rifles, which became a company in the Second Wisconsin Infantry at the outbreak of the Civil War. During the first battle of Bull Run he was wounded and reported dead, but was actually captured by the Confederates and hospitalized near Richmond. When he was paroled from Libby Prison (where he was transferred after recovering) he received a direct appointment to the U.S. Military Academy from President Lincoln. He graduated with honors from West Point in 1866 but served only briefly. Upham then engaged in lumbering in northeastern Wisconsinin 1869 and moved to Marshfield, which was just being platted, where he largely built the city. Upham entered a variety of business ventures including establishing a sawmill, a furniture factory (early to become Marshfield’s principle employer), a general store, a planning mill, a grain elevator, a flour mill, a railroad, a power plant, a waterworks, a machine shop, and organized the First National Bank. After the Marshfield fire of June 27, 1887 destroyed all of Upham’s plants and destroyed nearly the entire city, Upham played an enormous role in rebuilding Marshfield’s industries and encouraged other businessmen, workers and citizens to remain in the city, building the city for a second time and avoiding almost certain abandonment of the community. Upham, a Republican, was very interested in civic affairs (over political life) and served as alderman, mayor for two terms, and clerk of the School Board for 13 years. In 1894 he received the State Republican Convention’s nomination as the candidate with the best chance to unseat the incumbent Democratic governor. He won the election and served as Governor for one term, 1895-1897. At this point he returned to Marshfield to resume his enterprises and remained a prominent business leader until his death.
1108 East 4th Street
Dutch Colonial revival style was non existent in the City of Marshfield until 1914 when Hamilton Roddis constructed this unique house that still remains the finest example of the Dutch style. Hamilton Roddis was a great pioneer for the City of Marshfield, providing employment for residents for over 65 years. Furthermore, the Roddis family and Roddis Lumber and Veneer Company helped contribute to the City of Marshfield’s growth and success. In 1920, upon his father’s death, Hamilton became president of the company that was created in 1897. During the great depression the Roddis Lumber and Veneer Company continued to employ workers and throughout World War I and World War II they played a pivotal role in the allied efforts. During his lifetime, Roddis donated over fifty million dollars to fund Marshfield schools and churches. To this day the house still remains within the Roddis family as daughter Augusta Roddis still resides in the residence. The Dutch Colonial Revival Style rejuvenates from the front façade that accents an entry portico supporting classical Tuscan columns. Additionally, the gambrel roof defines and largely distinguishes the Dutch Colonial Revival Style. Many of the windows are displayed as pairs or triplets with cornices and surrounded with classical moldings. The three story house towers over others in the neighborhood and upon entry, the high coffered ceilings on the first floor provide reasoning.
Sears "House by Mail" House
611 West Blodgett Street
This house is the “Elmwood/Sunbeam” from the Sears Roebuck and Company Modern Homes catalog. It is a bungalow designed in the Craftsman style. The façade has a center entry door with triple ganged windows to each side and the roof is a steeply pitched, side gable roof with a fairly deep overhang and simple, decorative knee braces at the gable ends. A full width front porch is covered by a continuation of the main roof, which is supported at the front by large, tapered square columns, extending to ground level. A “sleeping porch” located over the front porch on the second floor is centered on the façade and has a shed dormer roof supported by square tapered columns and its roof has triangular knee braces, echoing the style of both the front porch and main roof. The catalog example included a fireplace which was not included in this structure. Aside from this exception, the floor plan and interior are as described in the catalog. Windows, doors, interior trim and detailing are all original to the structure.
Soo Line Steam Locomotive 2442
Locomotives erupted onto the American landscape in the late 18th and early 19th century. The Wisconsin Central Railroad built the majority of track in Wisconsin that connected the surrounding states and Canada. In 1911 the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault St. Marie (Soo Line) purchased a new American Locomotive Company Steam Locomotive to be operated by the Wisconsin Central Railroad. The Steam Locomotive 2442 was one of 15 class F-22 heavy freight locomotives built in New York that generated 43,000 pounds of haul power. Fully loaded with coal and water the Locomotive weighed approximately 349,600 pounds. While attached to the tender (coal-car), the whole Locomotive measures approximately 67 feet. The 2442 Steam Locomotive’s final run occurred out of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, in 1953 and sat until 1956 when it was selected to be relocated to its current site in the City of Marshfield. The locomotive does not include its original tender, but that of the identical Locomotive, 2441. Soo line workers donated there time and effort to lay the track where the 2442 Steam Locomotive sits today. The Soo Line Steam Locomotive 2442 is the only remaining example of the Class F-22 operated by Wisconsin Central and Soo Line Railroad Companies. Restoration occurred on the Locomotive in 1996 by the Marshfield Historic Preservation Association that included painting and buffing. The locomotive now sits underneath a roofed enclosure surrounded by a tall chain link fence at Wildwood Park.
The Mechler House
305 South Maple Avenue
Built in 1893, this house (a three gabled, Victorian style home) was once occupied by E.F. Mechler, the first jeweler in Marshfield. The Mechler jewelry store was established in 1896 and was originally located at116 S. Central Avenue. Upon Mr. Mechler’s death in 1936, the house passed down through the Mechler family. For eight decades local residents has referred to this house as “The Mechler House.”
Wahle - Laird House
208 South Cherry Avenue
Built by Dr. Henry Wahle in 1904, this house is the best example of the Colonial Revival style in the City of Marshfield. In 1924, it was purchased by W.D. Connor, a leading Wisconsin lumberman, for his daughter Helen Connor Laird and her family. In 1992, it was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on the basis of its architectural distinction and in recognition of the public service of Helen Connor Laird and Melvin R. Laird, Sr. Mrs. Laird served as the first woman president of the Marshfield School Board, president of the Marshfield Library Board, member of the State Library Commission, and regent of the University of Wisconsin. Reverend Laird served as an Army chaplain in Europe during the first World War and as a member of the Wood County Board. In 1940, he was elected to the Wisconsin State Senate where he served until his death in 1946. The house was the childhood home of the Lairds’ four sons, the most famous of whom, Melvin R. Laird, Jr., succeeded his father in the State Senate, went on to be elected for nine consecutive terms to the United States House of Representatives, to serve as Secretary of Defense and as White House Counselor for Domestic Affairs to President Nixon. The house has recently been restored and continues to be occupied by members of the Laird Family.