Sister City Program

 Unknown Image According to Sister Cities International, the program was introduced at a White House conference by President Eisenhower in 1956. A sister city is a long-term partnership between two communities in two countries, intended to foster friendship and understanding between different cultures, to encourage trade and tourism.  A sister city is officially recognized after the highest elected or appointed official from both communities sign off on an agreement.  A city may have any number of sister cities, with community involvement ranging from a half dozen to hundreds of volunteers. In addition to volunteers, sister city organizations may include representatives from nonprofit organizations, municipal governments, the private sector, and other civic organizations. 

Marshfield, Wisconsin has two sister cities, Jáuregui/Luján, Argentina and Zhangjiagang, China.


Zhangjiagang is a county-level city under the administration of Suzhou, Jiangsu province, China. With 1,246,762 inhabitants at the 2010 census, the city is now part of Jiangyn-Zhangjiagang-Jingjiang metropolitan area with 3,526,260 inhabitants. Continued growth will encompass the Shanghai-Suzhou-Wuxi-Changzhou Metroplex. It borders the prefecture-level cities of Taizhou and Nantong across the Yangtze River, as well as Wuxi to the west.

The area of the city was under jurisdiction of Jiyang township, Piling county during the Han dynasty. It was transferred to Jiyang (then Liangfeng) county which established in 281, while the eastern part of Jiyang was separated as Nansha county in 335. Nansha was merged into Changshu and likewise Liangfeng was merged into Jiangyin. The two counties were demarcated formally by three rivers whose names were Chuan Gang, Jiejing He and South Gudu Gang since 1667. In 1874, a canal called Chang-Tong gang demarcating then Changshu and Nantong was built.

The shoals formed by alluvial deposits in varying of shape and size border the Yangtze River were called shazhou in Chinese. Thus, when the CPC established a new county which located in then Northern Changshu, it was designated as Shazhou. The county was disestablished after the Double Tenth Agreement was signed. In 1962, Changshu and Jiangyin separated their owned parts to establish a county bearing Shazhou. When the county was turn into a county-level city in 1986, it was renamed Zhangjiagang.

 For more information on Zhangjiagang visit Wikipedia.