HISTORY OF THE WILDWOOD PARK & ZOO

Believed to have been established shortly after 1904, Wildwood Park & Zoo began when utility workers took care of two black bears.  In 1910, it became the Mayor's duty to care for the animals at the fledgling zoo until a zookeeper was hired.  Wildwood Park received its name in 1923 with the Zoo officially dedicated in a cermony on July 27, 1930.  The zoo housed many animals from around the world including zebras and gibbons.

Today, the zoo spans more than 60 acres and is home to many different North American animals.  The zoo has focused on native animal species that can only be found in North America in order to better take care of the animals in winter and to allow the outdoor zoo to be open year-round for our guests!

Take a stroll back in time and look through our archive of historic photos and documents from the beginning of Wildwood Park & Zoo to the present.
Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category

Early 1900's1 document

  • First Bears at Wildwood Park
    document seq 0.00